"Straight From the Tube".(c. 2006 - Ongoing)
![]() |
| In the window of my 11 West Market Street studio c. 2015 |
Straight From the Tube (2006 - Ongoing)
- The Fickle Piano
- The Veiled Roses
- The Tattooed Lemon
- The Insincere Tulips
- Contemplating Her Future
- The Green Bottles (in progress)
- The Pink Portrait (not shown )
- The Horizontal (not shown)
- The Garden Party (not shown)
- The XL or The Untold Story (not shown)
The idea behind what I call my “Straight From the Tube” series was to use pure color, straight out of the tube of paint. They are oil paintings, on stretched canvas, and framed in ornate, decorative gold frames, some are upcycled frames.
The idea was to use bold colors and patterns in unexpected ways while thinking about life issues. As a jumping off point, I used interiors and motifs from our home. In some cases, I was channeling by favorite artists, like Scottish artist, S.J. Peploe, obviously French artist Henri Matisse, but also Vilhelm Hammershoi and Henriette Wyeth, and Giorgio Morandi. I suppose you could say, these are riffs which take me to a place where they have deeper meaning to me.
![]() |
| "The Veiled Roses" by Barbara Hall Blumer 20 x 16" Oil Painting 2009 NFS |
| I used primarily Winsor & Newton Artists' Oil Colours. |
| "The Tattooed Lemon" by Barbara Hall Blumer 11 x 14" Oil Painting 2017 NFS |
| "The Insincere Tulips" by Barbara Hall Blumer 8 x 10" Oil Painting 2023 NFS |
| "Contemplating Her Future" by Barbara Hall Blumer 18 x18" Oil Painting 2023 NFS This one was shown in the "Framed in Fashion" Exhibit 2025 in Corning, New York |
| These are paints I used for the "Contemplating Her Future" painting. Old Mexican oil samples given to me by a colleague when I was doing marketing consulting in the late 90’s. Some crazy neon colors. (Today I think they are the Gapka brand.) And very limited colors, so I had to be inventive to make my painting work. |
![]() |
| In Progress -- Not finished yet |
"The Green Bottles"
by Barbara Hall Blumer
14 x18" Oil Painting
In Progress
"The Pink Portrait"
by Barbara Hall Blumer
8 x 10 Oil Painting
Not Shown
"The Horizontal"
by Barbara Hall Blumer
10 x 20" Oil Painting
Not Shown
"The Garden Party"
by Barbara Hall Blumer
20 x 24" Oil Painting
Not Shown
"The XL or The Untold Story"
by Barbara Hall Blumer
36 x 48 " Oil Painting
Not Shown
Comments and inquiries: BarbBlumer@gmail.com
To see more of my work, see BHB Paintings




