Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Studio Disruption

Last Friday at 5 a.m.

No, a car didn't crash through my window.  No, I wasn't broken into.  No it wasn't vandalism.  But yes it is a problem.

What should have been a non-event for my studio became a fiasco last Friday.
There was quite a commotion going on outside until about 2 p.m.  

My landlord ordered new, improved glass for my windows.  The idea was that it would be safer --- because it would be safety glass if it ever did break --- and it would be more efficient ---because it would be thicker and double-paned --- and it would be UV blocking---which would protect the shop displays from fading as well as be energy efficient.  All good things! 
You can no longer see in my studio on the side where I paint
(Until it gets fixed) 

Unfortunately, unknown to me, the project specified a bronzed tint for the glass.  So, it changes the light inside, as if you are wearing sunglasses, and I need natural light to paint.  

And from the outside you can't see what I am doing, nor what is in the windows. Essentially, it is privacy glass.  The opposite of what is needed on a storefront.  The sunnier it is, the more reflective the glass becomes.  Hard to show artwork in those conditions, much less paint.
I still have one good display window (on the left) while I wait for new glass, but half is in the dark (on the right).

With the help of many advocates of the merchants on the street, the project got stopped.  So, at least only half of my windows are "in the dark."

Yesterday, I was reassured that everything than can be done will be done to see that clear glass is put in my windows as soon as possible.

So, if you were wondering what was happening, that is the scoop.  

BHB

Friday, July 17, 2015

Accidental Prints of My Oil Paintings

4x6 Inkjet Print 
of Heather Basket

So, this week I thought I'd share something which has gotten me excited even though I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

These are four examples of what happens when I print images of my oil paintings on the wrong side of the photo paper.  It happened when I was teaching myself how to photograph and print reference copies of my paintings.
This is what I got the first time I put in the paper in upside down by mistake.  (Kodak 4x6 Paper)

The ink sits on the surface in puddles because it doesn't have an emulsion to sink into, and so it creates an almost batik-like design.
I liked it so much that I tried a different landscape, and watched excitedly as it came out of the printer, just like I used to do when watching a Polaroid print emerge.

And the exciting part is I don't know how it is going to turn out.
"Heather Basket"
before
The photo of a painting goes from this to this.
after
It takes DAYS for the ink to dry, and they must be kept flat.

The prints drying on top of my printer under a warm lamp (top view)

I scanned them into my computer today to load them up into this post, and learned that they look better as prints than as scans.  Something gets lost in translation, but I still think they have potential.
Here's one of the painting called Boots.

BHB


Friday, July 10, 2015

Big Canvas Progression

4 feet wide and 3 feet tall

One of my goals has been to try painting big.  I don't have an easel big enough to hold a canvas that large, so, I decided to hang it on the wall in the front window and paint it there.
Because I wanted to paint clouds, I chose this image which I took last summer with my cell phone and turned it to black and white.  I like to paint from B&W and make up the colors.  I want this to be a big colorful painting.
And so it began.  From the top down.  Probably unorthodox but that's what I decided to do.
The photo reference was taped to the wall so I could paint from it and compare. I realized I probably should have sketched the whole thing before applying color --- but live and learn.
It was very challenging to scale up the drawing, so I eventually drew a grid on the photo and on the canvas and painted each rectangle.
Here's where I stopped.
Until this week, when I pushed myself to paint the land.  Day one results.  Road, barn and right fields/distant hills.
Day 2 morning. Created the farm house on the other side of the road and the big trees to make the barn look far away.
Day 2 lunchtime.  Just a little more to go, to get all of the canvas covered. It was fun but hard to fill the gap in the middle ground.
End of the day 2.  Finally covered it all.  Now it is time to let it dry and assess and decide if I want to keep it as loose as it is or go back over the whole thing and soften all of the transitions.

Day 3.  (Yesterday).  I moved it from the front window to center of the studio so I could have a better look at it.
Day 4 (Today).  Not sure if I am finished with it.  But I am very pleased that I completed the entire surface and I learned as much as I did from painting big.  

It takes a lot of paint to cover such a big surface.  And it takes more arm movement and strength to paint so big.   

BHB

Friday, July 3, 2015

"Barn Fans" Oil Painting

"Barn Fans"
12 x16 Oil

This is the last of my backlog of paintings.  Feels good to be caught up  ---with the exception of the big landscape -- it's 48x36" --- that is in progress on the wall of my studio.
I hope to finish it next week, and then move on to some new projects.

BHB