"She's the People Wall Lady"

Most of my responsibilities are over for the "book tour" associated with the publication of my book about the People Wall mural in Corning's City Hall.  I have now earned the title of local author.  I am getting used to hearing people introduce me as an artist and local author.  "She's the People Wall lady."  That's what I would hear around town, mostly when I was carrying my see-through art portfolio with the prototype of the book visible from inside.
It has been a very rewarding experience to collect the stories, do the research and write the book.  Producing and promoting a book is a lot more complicated than you might think. Especially proofing, fact-checking and gaining permissions for using the content. I have had to learn a lot of new things, often by trial and error: ISBNs, Powerpoint slide shows, social media, how to set up websites, how to layout and design a book, etc.  And I have done many things outside my comfort zone, like TV spots, talks for organizations, and interviews. It took years -- starting in January 2020, through Covid, until the book was published last November, and promoted through this May 2024. But in the end, it has been a terrific experience.  The project has been good for the community, good for our local historical society (all proceeds go to them) and especially good for me.  
Identified, researched and wrote stories for all 150 in the mural and the history of why it was created back in 1976 for the Bicentennial and the new City Hall.  There was never any signage.  Everyone knew everyone back then.  Its history was being lost, so we collected it before it was too late.

We have sold over 3x our original goal.  And I continue to hear wonderful stories that the book triggers.  Thank you to everyone who purchased the book and/or contributed to it.  

It will continue to be available to buy through the Corning-Painted Post Historical Society.  All proceeds benefit their efforts to preserve our local history.  

It is also available to read through the Southeast Steuben County Library and CMoG's Rakow Library.
Over 400 people helped, including Gisela

And I will continue taking the "Fun Photos."  I have completed 50 so far, and look forward to making more.  I really enjoy making them.  Brings back good memories of my days doing photography.  We are posting them on the website, social media, and hope to make a collage to display in City Hall.  I get to reconnect with those that helped me.  Usually, I meet them at City Hall and they pick out who from the People Wall they want to photographed with. Other times I go to visit them. If you want yours taken, too, be sure to let me know.

I have met hundreds of new people and I am very grateful to everyone who participated and supported this community project.  
My "Business" Card

For details about the People Wall---what it is and why it's important, what's in the book and how to buy a copy ---please visit peoplewallhistory.com.

I have a few pet projects in the works--- like our newly formed Corning Duane Eddy Circle to the create a memorial for the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and guitar instrumentalist who invented the twang sound--- he was born in Corning and proud of it --- but for the most part, it's now time to paint and play. 

Thank you for your interest in my work! 

Barbara

For inquires, questions or comments, please email me at comments@barbarahallblumer.com