Tulips Study 8x10 Oil Alkyd on Masonite
Painted this study of tulips because I wanted to see if I could get more accurate, vibrant colors for flowers by starting out with a white surface (versus the mid-tone brown I have been using.) They answer is yes. And I wanted to see if I could get a sense of motion in a floral painting (versus a static still-life.) Not sure.
This is the photo reference. I took the image in Ithaca, last year, in front of the DeWitt building. It was a beautiful, sunny day, but windy. I moved things a bit around in my painting but tried to keep the rhythm and brightness. I am not sure if I like the scale of the tulips in the painting. They are life size, but they still seem a little too "in your face." At any rate, I learned a lot about the form of tulips and how transparent their petals are. I loved all of the colors I got to mix. It was fun.
It's a very loose study, on an 8x10 masonite panel. I used oil alkyds- which dry fast --- and completed it as quickly as I could. I had fun. When I got home from painting with Lin, I asked Tom what he thought. He said that it looked like it should be "crisper," which is what he says when my paintings look unfinished. So, I took it to the lake and put it on the "study" wall for now. I can noodle it later. I was satisfied for now.
This is the grid on the wall in our guest room at the cottage that I want to fill with paintings this summer. Right now it has two old plein air paintings in it, and the more recent Kueka Lake vineyards landscape, and now the tulips. I have them tacked into the frame using map pins. It's a mullion frame from a french door turned on its side. It will be a good place to let my paintings dry and to critique them.
I am excited about filling the grid. There are 15 slots. It's a simple goal, with the only restrictions being the 8 x10 size and a horizontal format. If the grid gets full, I will start giving away the paintings to guests. :)