Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Nature Sketching

Colored Pencil  -- A new medium for me

Yesterday, I took a half-day workshop with Bridget Bossart Van Otterloo which was fun and I learned a lot, too.

It was a nature sketching workshop held in her light-filled studio here in Corning, New York.

Bridget had nature specimens -- bugs, dried plants and flowers, birds, even an animal skull, etc. -- available for us to draw.  She showed us how to sketch using pencil and pen, by studying the structure and form, and then she demonstrated options for applying color.

I chose a maple leaf.  I tried colored pencils for the first time, and had no idea you could build up layers of color like you can with oils. It was fun.  Then, I made a watercolor of the same leaf.

Watercolor version

This year, as you might have noticed, I am experimenting with new techniques and revising my process.

I am not planning on specializing in nature or watercolor, but I am in search of a portable method of making art.

A small kit of a sketch book with a few pens/pencils and watercolors, will weigh a lot less than my big camera bag. Plus it will fit easily in my purse when we are traveling.  Nor create problems going through security checkpoints.

I will be able to pull it out and record what I am seeing whenever I want.  

BHB


No comments:

Post a Comment