Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Guggenheim was Inspiring

Inside the Guggenheim

Finally made it to the Guggenheim museum in New York City, and it was so much better than I thought it would be.
Lo Strappo by Alberto Burri

We saw a very interesting exhibit: a retrospective of Alberto Burri's work.  He was a pioneer in modern art, the first to make assemblages and to work with mixed materials. He was greatly affected by WW2. His show is from Oct 9, 2015 until January 6, 2016.

But it was the building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright--- and how it flows --- that was delightful.

We wound our way up the spiral path learning about Burri's work, and taking side trips into the collections of Impressionist and Modern art in the side rooms.

You could tell from the upbeat talking going on that people were really enjoying themselves.  It was a wonderful place for people watching.

I am starting to keep track of what I find inspiring as part of working my way through Chris Orwig's new book, The Creative Fight.

But more on that later.  I really was surprised by the Guggenheim.  I thought it would be old-fashioned. Because it was built in 1959 and made of concrete.  Clearly, I was wrong.

BHB



No comments:

Post a Comment