Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Accidental Prints of My Oil Paintings

4x6 Inkjet Print 
of Heather Basket

So, this week I thought I'd share something which has gotten me excited even though I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

These are four examples of what happens when I print images of my oil paintings on the wrong side of the photo paper.  It happened when I was teaching myself how to photograph and print reference copies of my paintings.
This is what I got the first time I put in the paper in upside down by mistake.  (Kodak 4x6 Paper)

The ink sits on the surface in puddles because it doesn't have an emulsion to sink into, and so it creates an almost batik-like design.
I liked it so much that I tried a different landscape, and watched excitedly as it came out of the printer, just like I used to do when watching a Polaroid print emerge.

And the exciting part is I don't know how it is going to turn out.
"Heather Basket"
before
The photo of a painting goes from this to this.
after
It takes DAYS for the ink to dry, and they must be kept flat.

The prints drying on top of my printer under a warm lamp (top view)

I scanned them into my computer today to load them up into this post, and learned that they look better as prints than as scans.  Something gets lost in translation, but I still think they have potential.
Here's one of the painting called Boots.

BHB


No comments:

Post a Comment