Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

"Red Figure on Beach" Oil Painting

 
" Red Figure on Beach"
14 x 18 Oil
Available

Framed another painting this week.   It is a 14 x 18 oil of a subject I had been wanting to revisit, and finally got around to doing over the winter.

The original version of this painting was 16 x 20 and painted back in late 90's when I was first taking painting classes with Marty Poole at 171 Cedar Arts Center.

I remember how excited I was to have created a painting which had a mood.  Up until then, most of our paintings had been subjects he had chosen, but this particular session we brought in our own subject matter.  In my case, I brought in a photo of a women in red I had passed on a beach in Maine.

It makes a difference.  I learned that the more you can relate to the subject, the more you will enjoy the painting experience.

Back then, I put it in the student show under the title, "Solitude", which I have since learned is one of the most overused, most generic titles for a painting.
The original is on the left and the new one is on the right

So, the new one's title---until I come up with something better--- is "Red Figure on Beach."

The new one is brighter and has a cloud formation in the distance. The figure is moving into the light. Overall less stormy.  Probably says something about my outlook these days.  

BHB

No comments:

Post a Comment