Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Matisse Cut-outs

Coming to NYC in October 

Henri Matisse's Cut-outs are very inspiring.

I recently saw the show at the Tate Modern in London, and the good news is an expanded version of it is coming to MoMA.

In New York City, the show will run from 12 Oct 2014 until 5 Feb 2015 at MoMA.  Here is a link:

http://museumviews.com/2014/04/henri-matisse-the-cut-outs-coming-to-moma-autumn-2014/

The Matisse Cutouts are impressive and the show includes some of his most popular works like the Blue Nudes.
Henri Matisse Making a Cut-Out

The cutouts are so much bigger in person than I imagined they would be. The work is covers entire walls!  They seem to be overflowing with energy.

Unfortunately we weren't permitted to take photos.

Why was it so inspiring?


Matisse never seemed to lose his passion, even when he was old and debilitated physically.  Most of this work was created after he was 72.

I have always enjoyed them as reprints as photos in books, on notecards.


We even had a dinner party last fall and made mini-cutouts to scatter on our table and as a party motif, based on this book cover.

But to see them in person was fantastic.  If you like his work, then I highly recommend you see the show if you can.


Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs’ is at Tate Modern, London, from April 17 to September 7, tate.org.uk, and at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, from October 14 to February 9 2015, moma.org. 

BHB

No comments:

Post a Comment