Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Crazy Quilt on Display at My Studio

On Display in My Studio at 11 West
 
Since I last posted, I have secured my studio space --- at 11 West Market Street here in Corning  --- for 2 years -- until June 2015. 

I am very happy to know that I can settle in and tackle some of the projects I have put off because I just didn't have enough space at home. 

Enough space to hang the quilt under my name on the back wall

One of these "I need a bigger space" projects is to photograph a crazy quilt that my late mother had stored in her cedar chest. 

The crazy thing is she never told us anything about it, and now that it is up on the wall I don't recognize any of the names.

It has a date on it of 1894.  There is an L in the center and the initials RCL, and about 20 names, including Lizzie, Davy, George, Blanche, mamma, papa, and Anna M.  The maker appears to be M.S.

It is a mystery to solve --- and I will enjoy figuring out who these people are and how they are connected.

Also, I thought it appropriate to post here on the blog because it symbolizes all the energy I have been putting into collecting and distributing information and photographs about family and friends recently. 

Some would say I have been obsessed with genealogy.   But, to me,  it has been a rich and rewarding experience  --- and I know it is going to show up in my art one way or the other ---


B

No comments:

Post a Comment