Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Friday, May 3, 2013

"Cool over Dark, Warm over LIght" Lesson



After - Warm over Light --the background receded and enhanced the flowers

After re-reading Tom Buechner's book, How I Paint, I decided to repaint the background of this painting to test what he says:

"All colors look cool over dark, even red and yellow:  all colors look warm over light, even blue.  It is the secret of the old masters, maybe the most important thing in this book."


Before - background was cool blues, purples, pinks and somewhat chalky
 
I don't think I did it correctly, but what I did do definitely helped the painting.  I will continue to experiment with this principle until I really understand it well. 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment