Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Monday, December 31, 2012

"Shells" Oil Painting - Revisited

"Shells"
approx.  14 x 17"  Oil on Panel
Available
 
One of the benefits of having a studio on Market Street is the amount of wall space I have.  I can put my work up and look at it at various stages. 

This painting was getting on my nerves after I saw it in the light of my new studio.  I could see lots of imperfections in the surface and the colors looked dull. 

The board I used to paint on wasn't masonite.  It was some other board I had cut at the Building Company to fit this non-standard frame.  Seemed like a fine idea at the time, but in retrospect, it was too crude.  The surface wasn't smooth enough; plus, it absorbed too much gesso and sucked up my paint. 

Before
 
So, I decided to sand off all of the blemishes and repaint everything except the shells.  I just boosted their highlights a little. The biggest change I made was to add interest to the background, using purples and teals, to make it more atmospheric. I think it looks better now.  There are still some bumps in the surface but the colors are more vibrant and the contrast is better. 

B

No comments:

Post a Comment