Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Painting in Progress: Three Fruits

In Progress --- Still Wet Still Life of Three Fruits
 
Thought I'd start to post some of the things I have been working on this fall.  I am working on still lifes, and I decided to do underpaintings.   This means that I do a drawing first to work out the composition and solve some of the drawing problems. 

 The underpainting
 
For this painting, I used a bright pink 8x10 panel leftover from The Grid project. I used Van Dyck brown oil paint to make the sketch.

As a reference, I used a black and white photo from a roll of film I took in Beijing back in 2002.  I like to use black and white images because I get to make up the colors. 

In general, using photos (versus setting up a real still life) can be problematic.  And in this case, there were distracting elements in the background and foreground which I had to eliminate. 

Testing it in a frame
 
As a result, the plate isn't as grounded as it should be.  It looks like it is levitating.  But, instead of trying to fix it, I think I am going to just name it "Flying Saucer" as suggested by my painting buddy, Lin.

Once it dries, I will tweak a few things, including the apple, but I am pretty happy with the progress I am making on it. 

BHB





No comments:

Post a Comment