Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Surgeon

Surgeon
iPainting

When I start to paint on my iPad, I really don't know what I am going to end up making.  This time I knew I wanted to experiment with skin tones and "building" a head but that was about it. 

And I wanted to try a new background.  Bright pink hasn't been leading me where I have been wanting to go, i.e., believable skin.  I know that the painter Tom Buechner used a green he called goop for his underpainting, so I thought I would start there.

I selected the green of hospital scrubs.  I read somewhere a long time ago that they use green in surgery theaters because it is the opposite of  blood red.  (For this post, I looked it up and found that they also used green to prevent eyestrain.  White was too bright.  Another reason was to prevent theft.)

Subconsciously, I must have been dwelling on the scrubs connection because this surgeon with his half-glasses began to emerge. In addition, I have had the Henrietta Laks story on my mind, too.  So many ethical issues in medicine.  (In retrospect, I don't think a lot of surgeons have beards.)  I am trying to let myself go and explore whatever comes up and not do too much censuring at this point.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment