Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Studies for the The Wedding Dress Project

One of the projects on the agenda for the summer is to complete my piece for The Wedding Dress Project, the brainchild of my art buddy, Anne Jennings Paris.  Fifteen women interpret, reinvent an icon.



The Wedding Dress Project:
A Collaborative Art Show
Using thrift store wedding dresses as inspiration, 15 women artists working in all media explore our cultural ideas about love, romance, marriage, and what it means to be a woman in modern America.

She has sent each of us a thrift store wedding dress and a totem -- mine was a hand puppet of a bird's nest with three little brown birds in it .   We are to use the wedding dress to create a piece for a show that will travel to at least three different locations, probably one in the Portland area, one in New York state (Corning, or Woodstock, or somewhere convenient for both of us) and another TBD.  

You can do whatever you want.  One woman is writing an epic poem, directly on the dress.  Another is doing video histories.  Another is doing a large scale graphic novel type storyboard. 

My goal is to complete my concept work by the middle of July.  Then, get input from Anne JP.  She is good at editing and motivating me. I am helping her find the venues and submit the applications. 

My ideas for the project range from doing something in my comfort zone, i.e., black and white photography, to creating a 3D installation-- which would be a new challenge for me --- including a Girl Scout-style sash of marriage badges.  

So far, I have a list of  about 10 ideas developed, and two for which I have done studies.

The first is studies of the actual wedding dress, shown here, handing on the door in my studio.

Which led to abstractions that could have meanings.  I picked out a few to post.

Study No. 7
Study No. 18

Study No. 32
And for the second, I enlisted my niece's help to work on creating dream images.  Fuzzy, on purpose.





So --------I will be posting my work-in-progress on The Wedding Dress Project going forward.  This is just a start. 

If anyone has any suggestions for venues, let me know.  There are 15 women, from teenage to 80's, and the show will include a variety of media.  Anne JP is looking for something a little edgy, not mainstream.  This show is supposed to be thought provoking.  It is not a Project Runway fashion design show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment