Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Art at The Gate, a New Artspace at Elmira-Corning Regional Airport

Just finished hanging my In Their Studios exhibit in the new art space at the airport, "Art at the Gate"

Now while you wait to board your plane, you can enjoy art in the newly created art space at Elmira-Corning Regional Airport.

Once you pass through security, my images line the wall of the west wing, across from gates 1-3. 

I am thrilled with the space and honored to be the first exhibit.  The light coming from the big windows is fantastic for art.

People waiting to board their flights at the gates have plenty of time to examine each piece, up close.  The airport manager, Ann Crook, and her staff have done a great job creating the art space. 
Ann Crook, Elmira Corning Regional Airport Manager
The airport manager, Ann Crook, and I collaborated over the last year or so. When I asked if she was interested in showing In Their Studios, she said that she had been thinking about doing an art space as well, so let's do it!

She wanted ceiling rods for hanging public art, like the ones in her previous airport, so I helped her research suppliers. Ann had the walls repainted and removed the bank of old phones, then had the rod system installed.

I had to learn how to do many new things for hanging a public art exhibit, including make a poster --- I used my old Publisher program to format it and Staples to print and mount it.   And labels for each image.  I used excerpts from my book.

Steve, from the airport operations crew, did the hard work of helping me put up over 35 images.  The ceilings are very high and the rods very long.  They swing every time you touch them ---until you get the weight of the picture on the monkey hook for counterbalance.   Each frame has to be adjusted and leveled.  "Up a little higher, no, a little more to the left, okay, now a little to the right."  Can you imagine?

If you would like to see some of the images from this show and book, please click here:   In Their Studios Book.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This is very wonderful in so many ways. I'll make a point of going over to see it... it is right in my neighborhood after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited the Airport yesterday and got a sneak preview right after you completed hanging, Barbara! Art in public places has always been a passion of mine ... this is a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Thanks for doing this, Barb!!

    ReplyDelete