Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Baby" Blurb Book Arrived

My Cottage Quiet book from Blurb finally arrived today, a Saturday delivery from FedEx Ground.

Unlike my Feast Everyday book, which arrived in just a week start to finish, this book took two weeks.  After researching why, I discovered that it was printed in Washington state, not in Rochester, NY, as was Feast Everyday.  As a result, it took an extra week to travel across the country. 

Cottage Quiet 7 x 7" hard cover versus In Their Studios 9 1/4 x 9 1/4" soft cover with film

My first reaction was, "Look how small it is!  Yikes!"  7" x 7" is a baby size compared to my 9 1/4 x 9 1/4" In Their Studios book.   But it is a cute book.  Almost precious.  More coffee table, than art book perhaps.  Glad I made it a hard cover version.  I like the graphic layout I created.  And the colors I chose.  The images look okay.  I wish the printing was a tad better.  There are many more printing dots showing than I expected.  But, I think my images are strong enough, even with less-than-ideal printing.  I feel like I got my story across.  The only thing that I really might want to change is my intro on the front cover panel.  I used the word "place" too many times.  Self-editing is hard.  Luckily, I didn't find any typos.

Next, I am going to donate this copy of the book along with an 11 x 14" companion print of "Calm" to the Red Cross auction fundraiser, which takes place next Friday night, and see what reactions I get.

In the meantime, I can't wait until Tom gets home from the basketball tournament to show him, and to show Lin on Monday when we paint.  I will get their input, too.  Then, I'll decide if I want to do a redesign, i.e., make it larger and/or soft cover.

7 x 7" versus 8 x 10" Blurb books

No comments:

Post a Comment