Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What Makes a Good Landscape Painting?

I am still in the dark as to how to create a landscape painting that I can get excited about creating and know how to execute.

I used to think that landscapes were about space --- creating a sense of depth. And movement through the use of composition and design. A unified color palette linking all of the elements, i.e., -- a color system that keeps the thing from becoming a mess.

Now I think that they are about connection.

About a sense of place, real or imagined.

They do have to be anchored, i.e., rooted by good drawing and use of perspective; otherwise, they become clumsy and artificial.

But, my current thinking is to focus on creating a connection and planning my landscapes more carefully rather than just painting what I see. If I feel connected to it, then maybe other people will. I don't know.

I am going to put on my storyteller's hat and see what happens.

But, I still want the surface to be interesting and memorable. And the colors have to be beautifully appropriate. After all, that's why paint instead of photograph landscapes. I love to mix the colors and push the paint around in ways that surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment