Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Self Portrait...Finally



Today I finally got up the courage to work on a self portrait for my marketing materials and this is the result. Any woman over 50 and on the chubby side like I am knows just how excruciating it is to have to look at yourself with such scrutiny. I think we all prefer to remember our younger selves, don't we?

I procrastinated doing this for over a year and just got tired of having it hanging over my head.

There is also an artist I know who is convinced that it is a bad thing to show yourself at all. "Let the work stand for itself. You'll spoil their vision of who made the art they are enjoying. It's like seeing a movie of a favorite book and the casting is all wrong."

My new studio walls worked well for the background and that pleases me. This is natural light and I am sitting at my desk but turned toward the light.

4 comments:

  1. This is a great portrait - I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the portrait okay, but I'm not crazy about it. One of the things I've found about myself is that I don't always choose the portraits that make me look "pretty." In fact, quite the opposite. I often like the ones that make me look like my own "in my head" version of what I look like, or that I feel express the best sides of myself in my personality. I feel like this portrait doesn't necessarily reach for showing who you are at the core--it's simply a good representation of what you look like--do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. although looking at it again, I would say: I like it. It's good for now. Something more interesting will develop, though. I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete