Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Gold Medal Haarlem Oil Capsules - Study #3

"Contains:--sulphuretted oils of turpentine and linseed and oil of peppermint." Sounds like something you should paint with rather than ingest! But on the side panel, it says it is "a diuretic to the kidneys."

Further research indicates that these capsules were very popular, a mainstream medicine cabinet item during the 40's, per one reference I found. Originally, they were developed in the Netherlands hundreds of years ago (1696, if you believe the box).

My images are rather ebay-looking (e.g., effective but boring) but this is good practice. I am learning my new camera back's features. It's the Nikon D90. It's similar to my D70S but lots better. Tom gave it to me for Christmas. He is always supporting my creative efforts, nice guy that he is.

Plus, I am hoping I can develop a good set-up for photographing my paintings by doing these straightforward shots. Eventually, I'd like to offer documentation of artwork as a service for artists. Or teach the topic. But I have a long way to go in my learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment