Welcome

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. It's a journal of sorts. It gives me a place to show my work-in-progress for my painting and photography. Comments are welcome --- add one at the end of an entry or email me at BarbBlumer@gmail.com.

Thanks for visiting.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Why do people paint (make art)?

Today I am thinking about why people make art.

When cleaning out my studio, I found a note I'd made during a plein air painting session in 2001. It said "Cavalene says people paint for lots of reasons
--to sell & make $
--for ego
--because they have to
--to learn something about themselves or their world around them."

And, I noticed Anne JP's blog says "My art feeds my writing and my writing feeds my art."

If you have other reasons or thoughts on the subject, I'd like to hear them.

I am going to be noodling my own reasons. More on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi.....I paint for the pure enjoyment of seeing a painting come out of the canvas..and marvel that I did that...

    Robert " Bob " Hall
    andyis68@gmail.com
    P.S. my sisters name is barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many times do I have a comment..?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some reasons I paint:

    1. To solve a problem.
    2. To notice something.
    3. To glorify something.
    4. To discover why something is beautiful.
    5. To create something beautiful.
    6. To lose time. (i.e. it's a form of meditation)

    ReplyDelete